Here is my process for graphic design
- Have an idea
- Recreate what’s in my brain in Photoshop
- Do a bad job
- Get frustrated
- Take a nap
- Try again
- Succeed but realize it was a dumb idea and it looks bad
- Give up
- Forget that I’m supposed to be making something
- Go on urbanoutfitters.com and look at vinyl album artwork
- Find something I can rip off
- Do a bad job
- QUESTION EVERY LIFE CHOICE YOU'VE EVER MADE
- Try to think of cool new ways I can trick talented friends into doing it for me for free
- Realize that’s a bad idea
- Distract myself with Twitter
- Try one more time with a different idea
- Accidentally make something that looks pretty cool
- Freak out with excitement
- Polish it up and make it look nice
- Second guess myself
- Decide it’s good enough
This is always the process and it’s exhausting.
I recently wen through all these steps as I tried to create some sort of graphic for my 2018 stand-up tour, The Black Hole Comedy Tour.
My original idea was doing something where I scribble a poorly drawn “black hole” over my face. This would really fit the theme of the show because it’s about the type of topics we’re afraid to talk about because they feel like they’ll be black holes that’ll suck everything into it and ruin our friendships.
I tested out this design and didn’t like it at all.
Then it was time for a nap.
I screwed around some more and made this
I’m not good at this. I hate this.
Then I made this weird thing.
Meh. TIME FOR A NAP AND TO QUESTION EVERYTHING.
But when I came back I made this and thought it was…..ok, I guess.
Then I did my classic move of looking at album artwork for something I could steal and that’s when I found the design for the Bojack Horseman soundtrack and I really loved it.
I loved that involved space (black holes are in space). I loved that was so simple so it’ll be easier for someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing to recreate it.
I tried using my silhouette and just doing the exact same as Bojack but it wasn’t working. I really liked the little ink droplet from the earlier thing so I just used that instead and then I couldn’t stop screaming out of excitement because it actually looked ok.
It is finished. I don’t have to worry about designing anything else for a while. This will get me through the year.
Also, and this is only kinda related, but you should check out Austin Kleon's book Steal Like an Artist.